One88 Church runs a drop-in for people in the neighborhood, many who are experiencing homelessness, struggle with addictions, have significant mental health issues, and lack supportive relationships. The love of Christ compels us to show love to those in the places where we live, work, & play. We believe that being present with people (as Christ is present with us) is a way of getting to know them, hear their stories, and understand their needs. We believe that people need to be looked at holistically and seek to meet (or facilitate the meeting of) physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual needs.
Our drop-in offers the following services:
- Laundry (1 day service)
- Public phone
- Counseling & Advocacy services
- Hygiene supplies distribution
We are recruiting volunteers to be part of offering these services to those who utilize our drop-in. Here are the details:
- Drop-in runs Mon-Fri; 10:00am to 4:00pm. There are two 3-hour slots available each day (10:00-1:00 & 1:00 -4:00). Ideally, we are looking for 2 volunteers per time slot per day.
[In case a person cannot commit to 3 hours, we are happy to arrange it so as to meet your schedule. ]
- Each volunteer will have a set of tasks (eg. Help manage shower schedule and/or clean shower, or distribute hygiene products, etc.)
- Volunteers will attend a training session prior to starting. The training will focus both on the tasks to be done and the realities of working in a downtown ministry.
- We have protocol in place related to COVID-19. PPE is provided for volunteers and rigorous cleaning is taking place. Part of volunteer training is related to cleaning protocol.
And while there are tasks to do, this is also about being with people who do not necessarily have many supports in their lives. We all need healthy community around us in order to live well. We want to help people find renewal, hope, & purpose in life.
If you are interested in volunteering at One88 Church, please connect with Dave for more information.